Picture
July 30 – Winthrop, rest day

Thank-you to everyone who has posted comments to our blog - your comments are encouraging to us.  We appreciate the sense of companionship and shared contribution.  In response to your questions about our route, we are working on a Google map image of our route and hope to post it sometime in the next few days.

Here’s writing for a few days:

July 27 - Diablo  The highlight of this day for me was conversation with Captain Robert Hopfield, Skagit County Fire District #19 Marblemount.  It is important for me to share this information with firefighters because firefighters and their families were so affected on 9/11.  The people we talked with also included a boyscout leader with a trailer load of canoes, a Seattle City Light employee, and a group of teens just returning from a backpacking trip.  Thank-you to all!

Riding was pleasant, afternoon tailwind, not too steep except the last hill to Colonial Creek.  When we arrived at Colonial Creek Campground, all the campsites were full.  We were not about to ride back down, and it was too late in the day to ride forward, so I decided to ask around.  We found an extra camp space available to share on the first request - thank-you, Lisa, for sharing!

July 28 - Rainy Pass  It was sunny and hot at Rainy Pass.  We arrived late in the day and decided to stay.  The elevation gain for the ride for the day was about 3600 ft.  So that was the day – riding uphill, the last 4 miles on 6% grade.  4855 ft.

We knew there would be days with a lot of tress and few people – this was one of those days.  I wrote this in the little notebook that I carry in my handlebar bag:  “Activist in the North Cascades.  Trees, trees, trees.  And people on vacation.  I haven’t wanted a vacation since 9/11 – I’ve wanted only to get to the root of what has been troubling the nation.  The trees and the mountains and the streams are beautiful – I’m glad this is where my activism has taken me today.”

July 29 - Washington Pass   We are definitely reaching  people new to the information we have to share on Highway 20.  Of the more than 50 people we talked with in the past few days, only 3 had heard of WTC 7, none had heard on Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth, and all learned something new about the scientific forensic evidence.

Two hours at the Washington Pass Overlook, 5477 ft.  Plenty of people, great scenery, and the bicycles opened conversation easily.  We gave out fourteen DVD’s including to some computer science students from India studying at Stony Brook University in NY, an electrical engineer from CO, and a graphic designer who works with architects and engineers.  I had to discipline myself to stop opening conversations so that we could get back on the road!

The temperature change was immediately noticeable riding down from Washington Pass, suddenly hot and dry.  I was surprised by the numbers of dead and dying tress along the steep down slope (I don’t know why the trees are dying).  After a brief stop in Mazama, we rode down the Methow River to Winthrop.  More singing – prayers for the people.

Another highlight for me was conversation with Walt and P.J. outside of Mazama.  A water fixture in an alfalfa field seemed to be broken, so I rode back to where they were resting in the shade to alert them to the freely flowing water.  And of course the conversation opened about the bike ride to NYC and outreach for Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth.  I appreciate the welcome friendliness and openness to listening we find in so many people we meet along the way.

July 30 - Winthrop  We are grateful to Doug Potter, a building designer from Winthrop, for opening his home to us for two nights so we can have a day of rest.  And to Tess Hoke for hospitality and for sage advice about the need to travel at dawn during the heat of August.  We needed the day of rest for our bodies to recover from the climb over Washington Pass, and to catch up on correspondence and media outreach.

In addition to reaching out to firefighters and to the general public on the road, I’ve also been reaching out to churches.  On the west side of the Cascades, we left DVD’s for the Day Creek Free Methodist Church and the Marblemount Community Church.  And tomorrow I’ll leave a DVD for Pastors Mike and Mary Lou Sanders at the Friends Alliance Church in Winthrop.  I asked friends at the Orcas Island Community Church to see this bike ride as a 4000-mile prayer for healing in relation to 9/11.  And I requested prayers not only for our personal safety but for the well-being of everyone we meet along the way (Luke 10:27, Romans 12:17).

One other mention, I was surprised to meet a person from Orcas Island in Winthrop, Chad Stoothoff, working at the Winthrop post office (I remembered that Chad used to get on the school bus next to the Nigretto’s) - a welcome connection with home for both of us.

We intend to be crossing mountain passes again for the next four days - hopefully we’ll have internet and cell phone access in the towns.

Comments

07/30/2012 11:00pm

You Go Girls! God Speed! And keep talking to the trees - they are listening! I can feel your leg muscles growing! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Shar

07/30/2012 11:28pm

I've been driving my car in the capacity of "support vehicle/guy" along with Rena and Pam since they arrived at the ferry landing in Anacortes on July 25th. Tonight as I write this comment we are in Winthrop, WA at Doug Potter's home. Doug is an old friend of mine, and he and his wife, Tess, are the most gracious of hosts, and a great help to the cause by welcoming Rena, Pam and myself and giving us a place to stay. I'm learning a lot from Rena about how to gracefully start up conversations with strangers that lead into the topic of 9/11 without putting them on the defensive. It's amazing and very encouraging to me how receptive nearly everyone we are meeting is. Starting a conversation that establishes some common ground soon leads to "Where are they going on their bikes?" The answer elicits responses of amazement and curiosity, and invariably the conversation turns to the reason for this ride. Beginning with a short introduction explaining that many architects and engineers have found a fault with particular government agency's accounts of the events of 9/11, people listen, rather than turning off. I had been anticipating more negativity from strangers prior to beginning this journey. What I am experiencing is a greatly renewed hope in this cause because the positive responses I am seeing coming from people are by far more prevalent. Unfortunately, sadly, I cannot continue to be the support vehicle for the whole trip. As much as I'd like to go the whole distance to NY, I do have to return to my small business in Seattle. I will be trying to stay with Rena and Pam as far as Idaho. I am already experiencing some of the grief I will feel when I have to leave them. Rena and Pam keep thanking me for my help, but now, here in this comment, it's my turn! Thank you Rena and Pam for having me along and for the immense effort you two are putting into spreading the truth and demonstrating your love for all the people of the world.

07/31/2012 1:21am

It's thrilling, literally thrilling, for me read your description of your journey. I've been through all of that country, miss it, and that helps. I'm kind of jealous and really thankful for ya'll doing this. I've been wondering if the torch of support vehicle could be passed. It would be great if Rena and Pam could have a support vehicle for a good portion of their journey. I'm working a lot and my time is very limited. But I'll make some time somewhere to look up bike organizations to both publicize this effort and solicit for additional support vehicles- if the ladies would like that. Our network of supporters is the most likely source for additional vehicle support volunteers though, and that sort of outreach might be more likely to be productive. First, I need to know if the ladies would really want that or not, so LMK. Thanks! Wishing ya'll a Joyful Journey!

Rena
07/31/2012 9:51pm

Hi Mark and Mike, We really enjoy having a support vehicle. We are set up to be self-reliant without, and the terrain should be much easier after the series of mountain passes in WA State. But we love the company, and riding the bikes is easier without the weight. And it's great to have someone take video as well. Anyone want to help who can take time off from work to join us for any part of the ride?
Rena

Rena
07/31/2012 9:53pm

Mark, It has been a joy to be with you. Thank you so much for company, support, patience, good humor, and all! Rena

Marty McGee
07/31/2012 8:20am

Wow, you're doing a great job reaching out to people. It's so good to hear you're being received so positively. It would be great if you had a google map on the site that showed your route and the places that you describe.

07/31/2012 1:35pm

Thank you ladies for doing this! What a positive and creative way to get the word out! I put your story on my blog.

Judy Handy
07/31/2012 8:09pm

Rena, thank you for sharing the DVD and the link to this blog this morning in the Cinnamon Twisp Bakery. I was with the lady who is planning a cross country bike trip for her 60th birthday.
I will follow ya'lls blog and God speed with you in the important message you are carrying across America.

07/31/2012 9:24pm

I just watched the final edition of the documentary. I was deeply saddened to learn that Lynn Margolis died. She gave such a powerful interview. And she was a great scientist.

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.